Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Riding and Climbing

It's been a week since Joey and I were on the bikes. After getting some great rides in during the Tour of California, the rain hit (and I went to North Carolina for a gig), but today was beautiful. I don't know how he does it, but Joey just keeps getting faster on the climbs (no, I'm not getting slower). And of course, when I finally catch up with him and ask how he's feeling, he just says "OK."

Last week Team Swift had a fundraising ride with Andy Hampsten that included a race up Harrison Grade in the hills west of Santa Rosa. Joey managed to beat all of his teammates except for 16-year-old Tyler Brandt, who beat Andy Hampsten! I'd actually been dropped on a shorter climb before we got to Harrison but when we got to the climb there was still a group of about 5 or 6 of us slow adults together. I managed to drop all but 1 person, who took off while I was waiting for a friend on the false flat just before the top. That felt good. Maybe I can convince all of them to ride Mt San Bruno next year, so I won't finish last in my division again.

Tomorrow afternoon we're going on a ride with Tyler in Marin. Well, I say "we," but my guess is I'll get dropped pretty quick, definitely at the first climb.

No comments: